He Is There!

Several years ago I came across this song. I was going through a particular struggle in my life at the time and really wrestling with God. There was something I wanted that He chose to take away from me. And the lyrics of this song reminded me that no matter what is happening in my life, God is there and He has a plan for me!


YOU WERE THERE
by Avalon


I wonder how it must have felt
When David stood to face Goliath on a hill
I imagine that he shook with all his might
Until You took his hand, and held on tight

'Cause You were there, You were there
In the midst of danger's snare
You were there, You were there always
You were there when the hardest fight
Seemed so out of reach
Oh, You were there, You were always there
You were always there

So there he stood upon that hill
Abraham with knife in hand was poised to kill
But God in all his sovereignty had bigger plans
And just in time, You brought a lamb

'Cause You were there,
You were there
In the midst of the unclear
You were there, you were there always
You were there when obedience
Seemed to not make sense
You were there, You were always there
You were always there

So haven't I learned that my ways
Aren't as high as Yours are
And You alone keep the universe
From crumbling into dust
You are God and though we would
Not have understood You
There You were

Hanging blameless on a cross
You would rather die than leave us in the dark
Every moment, every planned coincidence
Just all makes sense
With Your last breath

You were there, You were there
During history's darkest hour
You were there, You were there always
You were the Victor and the King
You were the power in David's swing
You were the calm in Abraham
You are the God who understands
You are the strength when we have none
You are the living, Holy one
You were, You are and You will always be
the Risen Lamb of God

You were, You are and You will always be
The Risen Lamb of God




Since the first time I clung to the promises of this song all those years ago a lot of life has happened. Over and over again I have gripped these promises tight as my world has shifted more times than I ever thought it would. Because despite what is happening in my life at any given time, whether good or bad, it is imperative that I remember that God is near. He is holding my hand and He never leaves me alone.

I think it’s really easy for us sometimes to assume that living a life for the Lord will equal a pleasant, happy, carefree life with roses and kittens and cloudless skies (or whatever you think sounds wonderful). But I have learned that something much different occurs when you give your life to God. Instead of an easy life, you invite a hard one. Because living a life for God is described in the Bible as the straight and narrow pathway. By devoting myself to my God, I invite attention from the devil. And it’s not the good kind of attention, I can promise you that. He will constantly attack you. He will strip you of whatever he can. He will do whatever he can get away with to try to tear you down and make you useless to the Lord. He will send Goliath.

But no matter what the devil sends your way, God is good and wise and He knows exactly what you need to combat the devil’s strikes against you. He gave David courage and five small stones. Because although the Goliath was a huge and menacing giant, God showed David that he was an easy target because of his size. God showed David that He was in control. And David simply allowed himself to be used by his great God to take that giant down. How exciting! I am sure that David was very fearful as he approached the giant that day. But when it came down to it, he stepped out in faith knowing that God was holding his hand and would not let him down.

So I’m looking at my giants today. My own personal failures, my inabilities, even my infertility. And I am looking at God and asking Him to show me how and when to strike. As long as I keep my eyes on Him I know He will guide my sling and shoot the stone straight into the belly of the devil when the time is right. The key is just keeping my focus on Him.

The Christian life is a challenging life. It may not be all meadows and songbirds and butterflies. The hard stuff is really hard when you’re fighting these spiritual battles. But I have learned something else as well. If being a Christian invites more trials and tests, it also invites more rewards and blessings. The good that God brings our way is so much better than anything we would have called good without knowing Him. Because we are able to see those blessings for what they are - gifts directly from our Creator. How amazing and humbling to know that He bothers to think of me and give me special blessings designed just for me!

One of the most powerful lines of this song to me is this: You were there when obedience seemed to not make sense.  How many times do we face those types of scenarios in our lives? When we look at God and say, “Are you sure this is right? It doesn’t make sense!” My challenge to you today, and to myself, is to continue that life of obedience to God - even when it doesn’t make sense to you. Because God will recognize that obedience and in due time He will reward you for it. Trust me, He never fails! Just keep looking at Him and He will guide you through it! He is there with you, and that is enough.

Lord, thank you for your constant presence in my life. As I face my insecurities, thank you for being there to face them with me. As I try to overcome the same failures over and over again, thank you for staying by my side. As I learn to reach out to others, thank you for being my guide. As I face my fears, thank you for holding my hand. As I face the unknown in regards to my fertility and your plans for my family, thank you for being present with me and showing me your promises to do good in my life and to give me a better blessing than I would choose for myself. Help me to live a life that is more worthy of Your presence and to glorify You in word and deed. I love you Lord!




Here is a link to the song. This performance makes it very powerful! The video isn't great and has some spelling errors and such, but if you want to hear the song, here you are: You Were There

Comments

Popular Posts