Make Today the Perfect Day

Yesterday I had the privilege of hearing a sweet lady from my church speak to a group of young mommies on being content where you are. Contentment is something the Lord has really been speaking to me about during the last year or so and especially as I have longed for another baby. I am learning (most days) to slow down and enjoy the family He has given me because the family He has given me is fantastic!

One thing the speaker mentioned yesterday was that women in my stage of life (married just a few short years with small children at home) often look forward and say, “I can’t wait until...” or “I want...” It’s so easy to do that isn’t it? For me personally I usually finish that sentence with “another baby.” I would love to give my sweet little girl a sibling. But the Lord has challenged me with this thought. What if there never is another baby? Can I be happy with the family I have now? Of course the answer is a resounding “Yes, Lord!” I could never deny that I have a wonderful husband who loves both me and our daughter very much and treats us both so well. And my sweet little girl is the light of my life. She is a true joy and blessing - so funny and charming and silly and sweet. And the more I think about my man and my girl the more I realize how silly it is to say “I can’t wait until...”

Also mentioned during the talk at our meeting yesterday was the fact that women who are reaching the end of their child raising years often spend a lot of time looking back with thoughts like, Where has the time gone? How did my children grow up so fast! I long for the days when they were small and cuddly. That was such a happy time in our lives! Imagine that! They look back at the days they spent looking forward. They remember the days of small children at home fondly. They suddenly wonder why they longed for the day their youngest child started school or why they couldn’t wait until their kids could drive so they could stop playing chauffeur. They realize that when children grow up they don’t spend very much time with their parents.

So the thought I was left with was this. Why are we wasting all of our time longing for the “perfect” stage of our lives? Even if such a thing existed, how long do you think it would last? Would we spend 30 years looking forward just so we could enjoy that perfect day or week before it was time to start looking back? What a silly thing to do! In reality, we can make each day be our “perfect” day. We can choose to live in the moment and enjoy every single stage that we go through. New mommies can soak up time with a snuggly infant rather than moan about the fact that they are sleepy and have to wake up in the middle of the night. Mommies of toddlers can choose to savour the experiences God gives them with a sweet little one who is curious and full of life instead of complaining about how tired they are chasing after their kids all day. Mothers of school age children can enjoy the time they are able to spend in the car having meaningful conversations with their kids instead of whining about being nothing more than a chauffeur who drives from one place to another each day. The list could go on and on.

So what are you waiting for? Are you still waiting for the day when everything is perfect? Honestly, I don’t think such a day even exists. Instead of longing for something that will probably never come, why don’t you enjoy each little gift and experience God blesses you with today? I hope I am able to do the same thing. Together we can find a better blessing!


Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
- Hebrews 13:5

Comments

Popular Posts