Intentional Living: Part 6 - Intentional Health




Well this is the least successful part of my plan for intentional living, but I’ll attempt to inspire you anyway. (Or amuse you!) I currently have only one goal written on my plan for intentional health - “exercise three times a week.” It’s vague and wide open to interpretation, which is probably not a good thing as far as goals go. I recently started running, much to my surprise. I found a plan online to start with walking and gradually increase the amount of time I ran each week until I could really be a “runner.” I think I completed three and a half weeks of my twelve-week plan before I got the most dreadful shin splints! The doctor recommended taking time off running and doing low-impact exercises for a few weeks, which I did. But shortly after I began that I found out I was pregnant, and although it was a tubal pregnancy, I didn’t know that at the time and I did have pregnancy symptoms like nausea and fatigue. Needless to say, my workouts slowly started to disappear. Then I had treatment for my ectopic pregnancy and was ordered not to exercise for a few weeks and later I had surgery because the treatment didn’t work properly and have now been told to wait six weeks! So you can see how my fitness plans have been derailed.

That being said I am ready to get back into the game! It would be easy to keep putting it off - especially with all these great excuses I just provided. But if I don’t start now, when will I start? Although I can’t get back to a normal exercise routine or go running for a few more weeks until I am completely recovered, I want to get back into the habit so that when my doctor gives me the go-ahead I can just smoothly transition from a low-key walk on the treadmill to a more aggressive workout.

As far as health and nutrition go I have never been one to diet. I have tried two or three times, but it just isn’t something I’m interested in doing. What I have tried to do, however, is do better at controlling my portion sizes and keep from snacking between meals. When I do snack I am trying to keep my snacks small and healthy. I recently started making my own salsa and hummus - both great snack options! Of course I have days that I completely fail at any attempt to be healthy. (Please tell me you do too!) I just try to start over the next day and do better. Rather than diet I think it is more important to try to eat more whole foods and fewer processed foods. That is where I am trying to go!


So I think my new goals list for intentional health should include: exercise three times a week (20 minutes or more), learn to make one new food each month (to replace overly processed foods I currently buy and use frequently - like cream of chicken soup), eat smaller portions, and eat sweets only twice a week. What do you think?
I would love to hear about your plans for fitness and health and how you keep yourself motivated. Heavens knows I need some more inspiration! Share your ideas with me in the comments section below!

This is the last post in my series on intentional living. My motivation has been renewed and I am excited about my own personal goals! I have definitely targeted a few areas in my own life that need improvement and I’m ready to get to work on those things. I hope you have had time to set a new goal or two for yourself!

Comments

  1. This is going to sound completely insane, but I get up at 4:45AM (!!!!) to work out for an hour. The only reason I do it that early is because my mom leaves for work around 6:30 and we both want to lose weight, so that is the only "convenient" time for us. I am tired and it's no fun getting up that early, but I am able to do cleaning in peace before the girls get up or go back to bed. I'm really bad at snacking and mess up every. single. day. I don't think I could eat only 2 sweets a week, I try limiting myself to one a day..hahahaha. but that's what I do. I've also thought of bringing my 3lb weights to work and maybe doing some weights when we're SUPER slow, thatw ay I can get in a ton of arm workouts. But I have yet to do that....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts