How Will You Respond?

Hard times will come to all of us at various times in our life. The question has never been if we will endure hard times, but how we will respond to them when they come. For the most part I suppose we try not to think too much about what could go wrong. Then when something bad happens we deal with it “on the fly.” We haven’t made any preparations for such an event, therefore we must decide in the moment how we will respond to our trial. The problem with this is that our spur of the moment decisions are almost always based on emotions. And emotions alone almost never lead us to the right decision.

Unfortunately, many people deal with the difficulties in their lives by running away from God. They become angry at Him, question why He would allow something like this to happen to them, and turn their backs on Him. I doubt these people ever would have said out loud, “If I experience heartbreak, I plan to run away from my Lord, the great Comforter.” But because they had no plan, they followed their emotions of anger and hurt and distanced themselves from the greatest source of comfort and purpose in their lives.

In the Bible we read, For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”  (Hebrews 4:15-16) Not only is the Lord able to sympathize with how we are feeling, but he actually knows exactly how we feel. These verses remind us that the best thing we can do during hardship is to draw near to the One who knows our pain and can comfort us in any affliction.

We have a choice to avail ourselves to God’s grace and mercy or to alienate ourselves from God and our fellow believers. Of course the choice seems simple when it is laid out like that. Who wants to alienate themselves and struggle through a difficult time alone? I believe the important step is to decide before your trial comes along that regardless of what He allows in your life, regardless of the loss you experience, regardless of the pain you endure, that you will always draw near to Him in the good times and the bad. Let your faith never waiver!

Lord, I give this day to you, and every day that is to come. I know that you are are my Creator and the designer of my paths. I trust your design for my life, even the parts that may look ugly from my viewpoint, because I know that You know what is best for my life and I know that in any circumstance You will give the grace that I need. Help me to seek Your glory in each moment, whether good, bad, or mundane. Give my life a purpose - the purpose of lifting you up and leading others to You!





Readers, take a moment to like my Facebook page or follow me on Twitter! Thanks!

Comments

Popular Posts