The Power of Prayer


We hear it in church all the time. Prayer is powerful. But sometimes it’s easy to feel like God is way up there and we are way down here and perhaps with so many prayers being said mine won’t really be that important to Him. Isn’t it crazy how we put God in a little box like that? After my first pregnancy loss I told my husband that I didn’t really want anyone to know about it. Our families knew because I had to have surgery, but I really didn’t want to tell anyone else. I was so afraid of the pity I thought I would get. Nothing seemed worse to me at the time than pity. But not telling anyone meant that I felt alone in my pain. The burden was heavy and I carried it by myself. Perhaps I didn’t trust anyone else with it.  I should have.

This month I experienced my second pregnancy loss. I called my parents and my husband’s parents.  I told my other family members. I messaged my friends. I started this blog. The outpouring of love was more than I could have imagined. I shared with you recently the many ways people have blessed me over the course of the last week. But more than all of those blessings I have felt the effects of powerful prayer. Last time I tried to fight the battle alone. This time I have an army of prayer warriors behind me! Do I still feel the pain of loss?  Of course. But it is not as heavy as before. My friends and family are helping me carry it. My Jesus is interceding not only on my behalf but also on the behalf of the many people who are praying for me. I have been lifted on the wings of prayer.

Why did I avoid this before? I was afraid of pity. I was afraid of being judged. I was afraid of receiving unnecessary advice. I gave up the power of prayer because I was afraid.  My friend, I hope that you will learn from my mistake. Don’t try to go through your valleys alone if you have a family, friends, or a church family who want to be used by God. Don’t rob your fellow believers of the chance to be a blessing. Perhaps you are going through something that you don’t want to share with the whole world. Find one or two friends you can confide in and ask them to commit to praying for you. And you must also make it a point to be committed to praying for others. I wonder how many gifts God wants to give us that He is just waiting for us to ask for?

Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.
- Jeremiah 33:3

Thou shalt make thy prayer unto him, and he shall hear thee.
- Job 22:27

And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask anything according to his will, he heareth us.
- I John 5:14

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
- James 5:16

Comments

Popular Posts