A New Balance



Journal entry from June 23, 2018:


This week we moved Penny and Ari into the same bedroom. We got a second-hand bunk bed and swapped Penny’s old twin bed out for it. The girls were so excited about their new bed and really happy to be able to do something to “help” while we prepare for the arrival of their new sister.


It hasn’t been the smoothest transition. Penny, our 7-year-old, loves her sleep. Ariani, our 4-year-old, doesn’t seem to need much. Typically, in her own room, Ari will sing or talk to herself for thirty minutes to an hour before falling asleep. But now that she is in the same room as Penny, she can’t do that. Every time she makes noise, Penny tells her to be quiet because she wants to sleep.


Tonight, when I was tucking the girls into bed, Ari got really weepy and told me that she is just so sad that she will never get to sleep in her old bed “ever again.” I felt so awful. I told her that I understood how hard it has been for her to leave her old bedroom and that it’s okay to be sad about the changes. But we also talked about being thankful for her new bed, for a sister to share a room with, for a mommy and daddy who love her and take care of her, and for the chance to welcome someone new into our family.


This journey will change everything for us. Today in our training, they gave the illustration of a family being like a crib mobile, perfectly balanced. And when you add another string to the mobile, it can throw the whole thing off balance. Each family member will have to make adjustments until we find our new balance.


I hope I can support my girls through this transition. I am trying to find the right ways and times to talk about our plans and help them understand and process everything without talking about it too much. I want them to know that they can be open and honest with me and tell me exactly how they are feeling throughout the next several months, even when their feelings aren’t completely positive. For now, they are super excited and have a lot of questions -- the number one question being, “When will she get here?”


I’m thankful for the positive response we have had from family and friends and I know that their support, prayers, and encouragement will go a long way in helping us make this transition and expand our family in this special way!


(Photo by Dimitri Otis/Getty Images)

Comments

Popular Posts