Waiting to Share the News




My journal entry from June 12, 2018:


I woke up so antsy this morning. It took me forever to fall asleep last night. All I can think about is this child that we will adopt and how much I am looking forward to seeing God work in our lives and hers.


Child? Children? We still aren’t sure if we plan to adopt a single child or a pair of siblings. Every time we talk about it we both agree that there are a lot of reasons to adopt a single child. But then when it’s time to say, “Okay, this is our decision,” we can’t do it. We can’t rule out the possibility of taking two siblings. But we have time to figure it out and I have faith that God will show us what He wants us to do.


Last night I took the girls out to take a few “reveal” photos. They are just so giddy about having a “new sister.” It only seems right to make a big deal out of announcing this to our family. When we shared the news about our pregnancies with each of them, it was always with a gift that revealed the news and we photographed the grandparents opening it and the shock, excitement, and tears that came when they realized a new grandchild was on the way. Our new child (or children) deserves the same! I can’t wait to tell her (them?) about the way their grandparents were so thrilled when they heard the news.


The waiting to tell has been so hard for me, though. I’m not a patient person at all. (Funny for a person who is about to wait 6-12 months to be matched with my future child.) I am about to explode with this news! In a way, I’m grateful that Ariani spilled the beans to my mom, because when I need to talk about it, I can talk to her. She and my dad have been so great. They were surprised, but pleasantly so. And they are excited right along with me. But now we wait for Sunday evening when we get together with all of my husband’s family to celebrate Father’s Day with his dad. It just can’t get here fast enough! (Plus, I’m so anxious every time we are with them that Ariani will shout the news out to them as well, haha.)


But all this time, I have been anxious to hear from our caseworker and get things started. When I woke up so antsy this morning, I decided that I was tired of waiting to hear from her. It has been a week. So I made a few calls today and finally found out who has been assigned to us and left her a message. When my phone rang a few hours later, I was at the girls’ swim lesson and jumped out of my seat! Finally! The call I have been waiting for! She got the rest of my information and said she would do a background check today. She also scheduled my fingerprinting for Friday morning. Who knew I could be so excited about a background check and fingerprinting?


When I hung up the phone, I could not stop smiling. Because this is really happening. We are really adopting!


God is so good.

Comments

Popular Posts