Pure Religion

Image Credit: http://ldssotd.com/james-1-27/



If we don't reach out to them, who will?

I recently read a statistic that said there are more churches in America than children waiting to be adopted. That is certainly true in Oklahoma. If just one family from each church would reach out and adopt a waiting child, there wouldn't be enough children to go around. According to okfosters.org there are currently 8,610 kids in DHS custody right now and 640 of them are waiting for a forever home. 

The night before God tapped me on the shoulder and reminded me that He had called us to adopt, my family had one of those "perfect" evenings. We had dinner together, played board games, and the girls ran outside to eat a popsicle on the porch swing. My husband and I sat inside watching them through the glass door and just smiled at each other as we listened to them giggle together. We nodded our heads at each other and agreed that we have a really great life.

The next morning, when I saw the video that reminded me of our desire to adopt, it all came together in my mind. Our life is good, easy even. Sure, we have the normal stresses that come with family life, jobs, and raising children. But we have the life we always wanted. I think it's easy for most of us to find those moments in life that remind us that we are blessed. But for many of us, I think we subconsciously think, I don't want anything to mess this up. If only this could last. I know that has been my thought so many times.

But during that particular weekend, I realized that my life is good, so this is the time to do something big. How many children go to bed each night dreaming of the life I'm living? A safe home, a happy family, loving parents, a dog and a cat, full bellies every evening, happy memories made every day. How could we keep this to ourselves knowing that we are meant to share it?

I know that adoption is not meant for every family. But I wonder how many of us are even listening for God's prompting in this area? 

As we sat through our training last weekend, we heard story after story of children who grew up in foster care, bouncing around from house to house, from school to school, until they aged out of the system at the age of 18. They stopped making friends at school because they knew it was just a matter of time before they were moved again. They stopped trying to connect with their foster families because sooner or later, they would be made to move again. I found myself questioning why they are moved around so much. The fact is, there are a lot of reasons why they move. Sometimes, they are reunited with their birthparent who loses custody again a few weeks or months later. Sometimes, their foster family moves out of state and the child has to be placed in a new home. Sometimes, they are moved around due to the number of siblings they have and the state's effort to keep them together. Sometimes, they become difficult because they are so hurt and so tired of being able to count on no one, so they act out and their foster parents can't handle it. It was heartbreaking to hear these stories and know that sometimes these foster parents are giving up on these children, that these kids want nothing more than someone who will love them no matter what.

If we don't love them, who will?

Who should feel more obligated to care for them than God's children?



Matthew 25:40 tells us this:

 “The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.' 



My hope is that you will simply start by praying for the children of Oklahoma who are waiting for a home. Perhaps God won't call you to foster or adopt, and that's okay. But you can still make a difference by supporting those families who are fostering or adopting and by praying for those families and children.



"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction."  -- James 1:27

Comments

Popular Posts