Waiting For Test Results

19 December 2012

I have been anxiously waiting for the phone call from the nurse to find out where my hCG levels are right now. I hoped for a call before lunch but it didn’t come. I waited until about an hour before the doctor’s office closed and finally I called to find out what was going on. I found out that their computers have been down all day and that is how they receive the results. The receptionist told me that I would have to wait until tomorrow to find out.

That shouldn’t really be a big deal. The results won’t change just because I haven’t yet heard them. But it’s excruciating to wait for news. It’s so difficult to sit here and wonder if the child inside of me is healthy and growing. It’s hard not to get nervous and scared of losing this baby. I don’t know how to get through these next two weeks!



20 December 2012
7:51 a.m.

At one point I had asked the Lord to show me if this pregnancy was going to be “the one.” I asked Him to give me clear signs and symptoms of a healthy pregnancy. I have never been so happy to be nauseous and hungry at the same time while deciding that nothing in the house looks good to eat. My favorite foods sound gross, I want a different cereal every morning, and the next morning the cereal I had the day before isn’t appetizing at all and I want something else.

Last night I think I actually had a craving. We were leaving church and I had this sudden desire for cookies and cream ice cream. I asked my husband to stop at the grocery store so we could get some. He drove right past our exit. So we went a little farther to Braum’s and he went in and got it for me. After we got home and put our daughter in bed I went into the kitchen so excited about this ice cream. But my husband had gotten chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. I hate chocolate chips in my ice cream! It was such a disappointment as I dished some out only to eat two bites and throw it away. But the point of the story really isn’t that my man got the wrong ice cream. I just thought that was funny! The point is, I had a craving! I just feel much more pregnant than I have during either of my last two pregnancies.

I am still anxiously awaiting the call from the nurse to find out my hormone levels and then the call from my OB’s nurse to find out when I need to do my next blood test. I am praying for normal levels. “Normal” would be the best word I could hear!


2:55 p.m.

I finally got the results from my first test. It was very frustrating to have to wait an extra day and then to still have to call because I had not heard anything yet. I appealed to the compassion of the “nice” receptionist (the less friendly one answered yesterday) and explained that I had further testing tomorrow but needed the numbers for comparison. I told her I had lost my last two babies and really wanted some peace of mind before Christmas. It worked. The nurse called me less than ten minutes later.

On Tuesday my hCG levels were at 107. That sounds really low but it indicates that I was 4 weeks 1 day on the day of the test. That was almost exactly where I expected it to be. Thank goodness! So for now I don’t have any cause for concern. Tomorrow morning I will go have another blood test and I’m planning to ask the nurse to order the test “stat” so that she can call me with the results on the same day. I am afraid that if I don’t get the results tomorrow that I would have to wait until the day after Christmas to find anything out. That is almost a week away. I just don’t know how I could wait that long! So I’m praying that God will use these numbers to quiet my mind tomorrow so that I can enjoy the next few days with my family!

In the meantime, perhaps the extreme nausea that I have felt all day long will be enough to put my mind at ease and convince me that the pregnancy is going well.  :)

Comments

  1. Amazing :-) My 4 week beta was 86 - so yours sound really great!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts